Which CMS? Drupal vs. Joomla vs. WordPress

I recently attended my 5th Ultra Light Startups and as expected, it was a success!  I have covered their recent event topics including Monetization via Ads, then Outsourcing, & last months SEO/SEM. But this months topic was highly controversial: Open Source Content Management Systems (CMS). Topics included:

• The most popular Open Source CMS’s – Drupal, Joomla & WordPress.
  • Examples of successfull startups on each platform.
  • What are the main differentiators between the platform.

For those of you unaware of this event, the mission is simple: “Tech entrepreneurs, sharing techniques to launch faster and cheaper!” It is a great source of networking with a panel also included to help drive engaging/helpful discussions to improve your startup.

As usual, the night kicked off with 1 minute elevator pitches by the event participants. Rami Weiss of Boomerater.com, explained why this was so crucial: “Pitching is important and practicing your pitch is the only way to perfect it!” (His tips included: Stand Up, Explain What you do, Your Business Model, Funding, Size and Other Stats). There were a lot of web-design and CMS design companies present, but a a few stood out from the crowd.

• Jason Calderon, BrandYourBaby.com – Child naming and website apps
  • Benjamin Horst, Wishler.com -Social wishlist sharing site
  • Michael Meyers, NowPublic – NextGen “Reuters”/1st VC’ed Co. using Drupal.
  • Peter Raymond, Human Condition – Feel what a disease feels like
  • Joshua Russak (Me), RezRedo.com – Database of Resume Job Experiences
  • Boris Bulayev, Educate – Educating Africa’s Future Leaders

Also, a last-minute addition, the creator of the website Overheard In New York, Morgan Friedman, talked about how he achieved success with his ‘ultra light’ startup. The best advice he gave came from his Rabbi: “Any problem that can be solved by money isn’t actually a problem”. Following his speech, came pizza+pop+networking which is a core to this event. After a 1/2 hour of business card collection the panelists took their seats. The panelists were as follows:

In the past, I covered the events in a Q&A format on my blog, but I decided to try a new form of event coverage: Flip Video! First suggested to me by Melissa Salas (Director of Marketing, Buy.com, met her at Affiliate Summit Social 2008), the Flip is a great way to quickly video-capture events and easily upload them 1-2-3 to social video networks. So…instead of taking notes at this event…I put a fun little video together. Questions covered in the video include:”Describe your CMS…“,”Examples of websites that use your CMS“, “CMS Developer Communities“, “What’s next?” and more…

If you liked what you read here, come out to next months Ultra Light Startup Event: Startup Revenue Models. I look forward to seeing you there.

• Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Sphinn
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • del.icio.us
  • Twitter

Posted under Events, Ultra Light Startups

19 Comments so far

1. Akmed December 8, 2008 1:36 am

Thanks for this. http://marketingblog.net/ is now in my feed reader, I’ll keep and eye out for your next story. I like the layout of your site, nice and clean and easy to read. Thakns.

2. Steve Bruner December 8, 2008 9:18 am

Josh,

As usual, a great recap of the event. Love the Flip Video!

Steve

PS Thanks for editing out my embarassing moments!

3. Daniel Chvatik December 8, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks for providing these write-ups, they are really useful.

4. Rami Weiss December 8, 2008 12:15 pm

great job on the write-up, Josh…. another excellent event!

5. Nate Berkopec December 8, 2008 12:37 pm

Flip Video? You’re a real Web 2.0 digirati now!

6. Graham Lawlor December 9, 2008 2:37 am

Josh, you are incredible. Now with video. You have outdone yourself. I am so appreciative of you doing all this. MarketingBlog.net forever!! ;-)

7. Bharat Nair January 7, 2009 8:54 pm

Excellent capture of the meeting proceedings. Keep it up Josh. This helps those who can’t be there in person.

Bharat.

8. elfman January 25, 2009 1:30 pm

Nice comparison for someone like me who knows next to nothing of them.

9. Raul Reynoso January 27, 2009 4:49 pm

To add to this debate we are asking people experienced with Drupal or joomla to take our survey at:http://www.webologysolutions.com/ebusiness-blog/joomla-vs-drupal-survey.html. Read why at: http://www.webologysolutions.com/ebusiness-blog/Take-our-Survey.-Determine-CMS-Selection-Best-Practices.html Thanks.

10. Sam The Video King February 3, 2009 6:18 pm

I enjoyed the video. Great to look at! My personal opinion. I don’t have experience with joomla or drupal. It seems the learning curve is much steep with those platforms. WordPress I think is easier to use and has great scalability.

11. drupal webhosting February 12, 2009 9:22 am

I prefer WordPress and Drupal.
    Wordpress for it easy to use layout and drupal for it large helpfull community

12. Dorien March 9, 2009 3:46 pm

I prefer Drupal because of its immense flexibility. Drupal is great for social networking, although not always that evident. That’s why I bundled my thought together as a tutorial ebook: Drupal 6:Ultimate Community Site Guide. This will give you a site like rawvegandating.com (D5) and drupalfun.com (D6).

If you are interested in the modules used, you can take a peak at the table of contents.

Greetings,

Dorien

13. CMS Joomla April 21, 2009 5:03 pm

I think Joomla is very good. There are many programs. Joomla 1.5 offers more opportunities for SEO.

14. CMS Hosting April 24, 2009 5:23 pm

We host most CMS systems and found all to be quality systems. The changes in WordPress is impressive and now easy to use for web site creation (opposed to just a blogging system). Joomla is still quite un SEO friendly outside of the box. Drupal is great piece of code but just a lack of templates.

15. Raul Reynoso May 11, 2009 5:23 pm

The results of the Joomla Drupal Survey of professional developers is now complete. We have received aproximately 200 responses from professionals versed in a number of different content management systems. The survey results are available in a couple different formats. For more information view our blog post anouncing the results of the Drupal vs. Joomla Survey.

16. iShipSHOP.com July 16, 2009 4:38 am

iShipSHOP.com

The largest collection of eProducts for Business, Home, Family, Money, Computers, Internet, Employment, Marketing, Fun, Entertainment, Recreation and Culture found at one place. Search or Browse from here before buying the eProduct.

17. hanum October 23, 2009 2:23 am

each of that CMS has benefit and weakness. But I prefer joomla to build web to wordpress. Nice posting. Thank’s

18. Thomas Hruska June 30, 2010 9:18 pm

About a week ago, I released Barebones CMS 1.0:

Barebones CMS is a high-performance, open source content management system (CMS) for web developers operating in a team environment. It is dual-licensed under your choice of a MIT or LGPL license.

Interested to learn more? Be sure to check out the tutorial and videos here:

My goal here is to get feedback and start building the community around Barebones CMS. Every CMS is a tool and it is important to use the right tool for whatever the job calls for. I would love for web development teams to add Barebones CMS to their arsenal of tools.

19. Kerala Girls January 24, 2011 7:25 pm

,-~ I am really thankful to this topic because it really gives up to date information ‘-”

Trackbacks